Wot is yor DAW?

Martin Naef mnaef at navisto.ch
Mon Dec 15 21:06:36 CET 2014

On 15.12.2014 12:52, Jay Vaughan wrote:
>> Still around in lurking mode…
> !!!

Of course...

>> So I'm still using a seven or eight years old Dell XPS 420 with
>> 2.4GHz Quad Core CPU, Sonar 7 as the DAW for MIDI, the even older
>> MOTU 2408/308 and 2x 1224 interfaces, plus plenty of MIDI synths
>> and outboard processing devices. I haven't felt the need for more
>> power since, although the PC is getting a bit long in the tooth…

> Probably you just put an SSD in it and it’ll scream like a rocket
> again, though, right?  I mean, its phenomenal what an SSD can do to
> ‘slightly older hardware’, where possible.  I have a quad-core AMD
> 9550 system as my main Linux DAW, and putting an SSD in it is like a
> whole new plate of butter.

I know, but I can't be bothered at the moment. I'd have to replace both
disks (only two spaces available), and apart from the abysmal startup
times it's fast enough for me. Besides, if I do that, I'd also want to
upgrade to 64bit Windows, which means reinstalling everything from
scratch anyway. That'll have to wait until I also upgrade my DSLR (the
new versions from my RAW converter require 64bit...)

Martin