Wot is yor DAW?

Andrew Tarpinian andrewtarpinian at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 20:32:18 CET 2014

Laptops have their place and for most people it's a small all in one solution (now tablets.) I bought my retina macbook a year ago because I couldn't wait any longer for the new Mac Pro (and I would have spent way too much on one :) I have to say it's insanely powerful for a laptop, and rivals desktop machines. Of course I want more ram and cores obviously, but for most video/after effects/3d work it's fine, and you can pick it up and take it with you. I could not believe the amount of power in such a small space. The 1tb flash drive helps :)

I don't take it out a ton, my home base involves a 24" Cinema Display, 22" Wacom Cintiq, wired keyboard and mouse, and external drives/usb hubs etc... Works pretty snazzy. Now my music gear is on the other side of the room, so if I want I can just unplug and move the laptop over there, plug in one cable (2nd audio interface cable) and do my recording right next to gear, which sounds simple but pretty cool. Then bring it back for mixing etc...

For the most part the only things I do on the laptop involve actual nuts and bolts work/production/music. Everything else is the tablet/phone, including most client communication.