Wot is yor DAW?

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Mon Dec 15 19:36:59 CET 2014

K9 Kai Niggemann schreef op 10-12-2014 23:14:

> I'm on a 2011 MacBook Pro 17" (too heavy, but 3x USB, 1x FW 800 and 1x
> Thunderbolt (If I ever need it).

I can't stand laptops. To me, they combine the portability of a desktop
computer with all the power and the large screen of a tablet. And let's
not even talk about their ergonomics.

At work, we (developers) used to have desktops, because we needed
powerful machines. But since we're a global company, we actually have
our own branded version of Windows, and a limited number of computers
that are supported. And those are only laptops. So now we have powerful
laptops where there's a pretty linear power-to-weight ratio.

So we all have a docking station, a 22" screen, a mouse and a keyboard,
effectively turning it into a desktop. Except that I got this really
cute wireless Logitech keyboard, and Bluetooth stops working a few times
a day. So I have to open the lid, press Fn+F5, switch off Bluetooth in
the window that popped up and switch it on again. But when I close the
lid a little too hard, or if someone bumps into the desk, UBB on the
docking station stops working, and therefore my mouse for a couple of
seconds.

So if I have a meeting, I just take my Android tablet and the little
Logitech keyboard, and work from there. And if the security department
hadn't been the spiritual successor to the KGB, I could actually easily
exchange documents between the tablet  and the laptop.

I'm still finding my "modus operandi" with the tablet. It can largely
take over the communication abilities of my desktop PC, but I still do a
lot on the desktop. Maybe I should focus the PC a little less on
communication and a little more on music... but then again, my synths
are one floor up. I've been thinking of ways to deal with this, but they
all involve a lot of work with little benefit.

That's enough ranting for today. :)

- Peter