OK, I Give Up

Andrew Robinson andrew at bml.co.uk
Wed Dec 10 16:41:36 CET 2014

I'm pretty happy with mine. If anything it's too silent, the fan on my
external HD really sounds loud now! My electricity bill is also noticeably
lower, but I might be an unusual case, as I do a lot of very heavy After
Effects rendering jobs overnight.

I'm not that happy with Yosemite though, endless wi-fi disconnections meant
I gave up  on wi-if and ran an ethernet cable to the machine, and certain
apps crash and lock the machine up for 60 seconds reporting graphics
crashes at regular intervals.

Getting 64Gb of aftermarket RAM seems to have paid off well, as did going
for a bigger SSD. Apple are still lacking a 4k monitor (or 5k like the
retina iMac), and my 30" Cinema Display is showing it's age... that's still
the best investment I've ever made btw, proper anti-glare and a big screen
really helped with eye strain.

- Andy_R