Label and pigeon-hole yourselves.....

Jay Vaughan seclorum at mac.com
Sun Aug 24 08:30:31 CEST 2014

I’m still in the “see what comes of the jam” pigeon-hole, after all these years - I have focused myself musically on the inspiration of the now, the present time jam, and love to see what comes of it.  I don’t feel at all inspired by sitting in front of a workstation and cut/paste/WIMP’ing my way though a song - if I can’t do what I need to do with knobs, sliders, buttons - in realtime - I just walk away.  I’ve considered changing that focus to being a bit more organized as a musician, but I’m just not there yet, in terms of the physicality of performance and musicianship, so I’m sticking with my way for a bit longer .. I started my music life with strict, disciplined arrangement and practice of pre-determined paths with my grandfather Sir Terry Vaughan (OBE) giving me the boot up the backside to do so, but now as a free-willed adult I find the adventure of music is much more compelling when I can just feel the heat of passion of the now.  This means, for the most part, my tracks are crap - but it also means when they’re good, its an inspired good.  And thats what I need in my life.

Though, I have to say, I’m pretty sure I’ll sit down someday with the repertoire of stuff I’ve collated over the years and start doing proper arrangements.  Just, I’m not there yet.

j.