Small monitors

K9 Kai Niggemann kai at kainiggemann.com
Sat Apr 5 10:53:11 CEST 2014

I just got a really great deal on Fostex 6301. They are small but sturdy, not a lot of bass though, but quite accurate. Really heavy. Unfortunately one had a broken chassis so it's still in repair (the deal remains sweet anyway).

With my laptop ensemble EBE (e-b-e.eu) we have used those tiny Genelecs as personal monitors and in smaller spaces (we don't play earsplittingly loud, usually) even as speakers that reach into the audience (with 2-channel support from the PA, but those speakers allow the audience to pinpoint the source of a sound much better). They sound decent and are quite capable.

I used to have a pair of 1030 or 1031 (the smaller ones), a long time ago and didn't like them because they made everything sound really nice and shiny... I was getting better mixes on my JBL control 1...;)