just bar talk about my new band..;)

K9 Kai Niggemann kai at kainiggemann.com
Sun Sep 29 12:10:07 CEST 2013

Hi bar,

I gather since this is a bar, this is the right place to lean up against it, order an espresso or a cold drink and talk about music.

last night I had my third gig with "The Dorf", a 25 piece sound-collective, all in all jazz-big-band, probably describes it best, but it's a weird kind of Jazz.

here is an example (recorded, before I joined though, but it features FM EInheit of Einstürzende Neubauten):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww9HF4PyXvI
("Beefy Heart")

it's a crazy project. usually 25 people on stage, there are two drummers, 10 brass players, up to 4 basses, 4 guitars, there is a keyboard player and up to 3 electronics -- it's crazy overkill in everything. to me it feels like an anti-market statement -- nobody can pay this band enough so that anyone could make a living. but everyone loves it to death...

it may seem silly, but I am so enthused about having played with them again, last night we had a 10 piece brass band (on top of the regular band) made up from kids from Kinshasa, some of them street children, some have seen even worse things. it was a blast...!

Just wanted to share my good mood and the wide grin on my face that you only get after you really rocked the house -- 170 people in a sold out show that were going wild, even though it was a place with seats...;)

have a great sunday everyone. I'm really sorry that I can't join in Wageningen next week!

Kai