Most common music-bar synth?

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Mon Sep 23 23:05:06 CEST 2013

Op 23-9-2013 18:25, Tony Scharf schreef:

> What *would* be cool....and probably impossible...would be to have the
> repository be abstracted to allow for patch translation.  i.e. it
> doesnt store that the Filter 1 has a cutoff of '64' but it would store
> that the value was '50%' of the possible range.  That way, I could
> have a virus and you could have an ultranova and you would be able to
> (within constraints) be able to grab patches designed on other synths.
>  The results may be...odd...but perhaps interesting?

This is something I considered over a decade ago (but it never got past
the stage of considering).

The problem with this is that you first need to have some abstract model
of each synth, and that you need to translate what "set filter to 127"
means on synth A to what it means on synth B. And then there's the issue
of missing features between two different synths.

It would still be possible –after all, Yamaha UK produced a JP8000 sound
bank for the AN1x– but outside of analogue (modelling) synthesis, this
is going to be pretty hairy.

- Peter