Wageningen Accommodation

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Mon Sep 16 22:13:10 CEST 2013

Op 16-9-2013 21:13, punkdISCO schreef:

> 1)If we fly, it will be to Amsterdam. How difficult for stupid people
> to work out the 2 train legs to Wageningen and, are the trains
> expensive when you just pay on the day?

Well, Dutch people manage to travel by train, so it can't be too
difficult. :) Prices are reasonable, certainly not as expensive as in
the UK.

> 2)Can anyone recommend some hotels?  Looking at booking.com, the
> available hotels are like 4 miles from Wageningen.  I guess if we
> drive that is not a problem and we can get taxi’s in the evening.

I'm in the fairly unique position that I know the Netherlands both as a
resident and as a tourist. If you look for hotels in the Netherlands,
you'll find them remarkably expensive, and unless you're staying in
Amsterdam or, to s somewhat lesser extent The Hague, it can be quite
difficult to find something nice and for a reasonable price. I didn't
manage, for example, to find such a hotel in Utrecht, even though
Utrecht is quite a nice place for tourism.

So you could consider staying in one of those places (Amsterdam or The
Hague; Amsterdam has like half of all hotels in the country), instead of
trying to find something as close to Wageningen as possible. On the
other hand, getting back at night might be a big problem, since public
transport only runs till certain times. There are night trains and
buses, obviously more expensive than during the day, and you might have
to take a big detour.

- Peter