Music Industry? What industry?

Jay Vaughan seclorum at mac.com
Mon Sep 16 17:33:18 CEST 2013

> Thoughts?
> James R. Coplin

Totally with you on everything you state, 100%.  I have always eschewed doing things 'the way the mainstream does it' as a general principle, and for me the reason for making music is simply that its the sort of music that I want to hear.

For the last few years I've pretty much only been serious about listening to my own tracks - this has had some limits, but also some advantages.  I've become a better musician for myself, as I've made improvements and tweaks over the years to my process - but I'm also aware of the fact that I've become somewhat myopic in my tastes - in the same way that someone who only ever eats from their own garden doesn't get to experience the richness and flavour of distinct remote sources.

Of course, this is something that simply must be managed .. and I wonder what sort of new involvement in the music market it all means.  In some ways, music-bar represents the 'new way to hear new music' mechanism, and that sort of impresses me.

j.