MI Anushri synth - and some thoughts

Jay Vaughan seclorum at mac.com
Mon Oct 14 12:12:50 CEST 2013

> i asked joost and jay and romain how to test it and they just sorta didn't say much.

we played it and it works!  rule #1 about the anushri: you *MUST* read the fucking manual, thb!

> mz seemed to know a lot about it, but only mentioned how to play a few notes.

it has a drum machine, it has a sequencer and it has a fat synth section.  you can midi it up or just tweak the drums and sequencer together.  but: you *must* read the fucking manual!

the drum section is generative; then beat settings are all parameterised and macro’ified, and identifying which of the knobs is the macro (thus: most distinctly different) is a bit .. dodgy.  but once you spot it and tweak the X and Y grid matrix, you can really perform lovely breaks and fills and flams and so on.

the sequencer is a bit like the one on the SH101, only with a few extra features.  the absolutely most lovely thing you can do with the anushri is tie it up, directly, to the SH101 and use both sequencers, synths, and the drum system, to rock it out.

imho, of course.

> i did check i got the diodes the right way round, so i reckon it should go
> forward in time, pretty reliably.

in my opinion you did a superlative job, and i give it a 100% operational certification.  micke, me and joost played with it for a day or so before we got to wageningen, and maybe the reason we all sort of went “meh!” on the anushri is that it was gerts gift, we weren’t allowed to play with it until after we gave it to him .. ;)

j.