Any web back-end people on the bar with some spare time?

Andrew Robinson andrew at bml.co.uk
Mon Nov 11 15:46:52 CET 2013

As part of my Masters curse, I need to get costings for an annoyingly
speculative bit of web work.

Could anyone help me with ballpark figures for making a functioning demo
site, and also for making it robust enough for real world use (which is
frankly, quite unlikely to ever happen), if I give them the spec for what
the site needs to do? I and another student will handle the visual design
and spec, as we know our way round photoshop and css, but we need a quote
for the back end because we don't know our phps from our elbows, and this
http://www.altontowers.com/rides-and-attractions/thrill-rides/rita/ is what
we think of when people mention ruby on rails.

My guess is that a demo site might be a few hours work, which is about all
my budget would cover, but I could be wildly wrong, as I've not worked with
a back end web person for abut a decade.

It's a brief from a real client, but it's fairly unlikely to turn into a
real live project, as we're in a beauty contest with 4 other student teams,
and we're pitching a blue-sky idea to a company probably that already has
web talent. We are definitely in 'I'll buy you a pint or two for helping me
out with costings' territory, rather than 'we'll all get rich from making
this site for real' territory.

- Andy_R