Use of CI and CD

Joost Schuttelaar joost at joostschuttelaar.nl
Thu May 9 23:13:49 CEST 2013

On 9 mei 2013, at 22:31, Mikael Hansson <forums at deadmengods.com> wrote:

> I've been looking a lot into Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment to improve our methodologies lately.
>
> We have been using a sort of "CI Light" with a build server (TeamCity) to deploy to test and then a file-sync tool (SynkBack) to promote it to prod for the last couple of years but I'm looking into taking it a step further.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts/tips/anything to share regarding this? :-)

For the HTML5 Magazine (h5mag.com), we use git, a cronjob and a bit of PHP.

All developers work in branches in git for specific versions or features. The master branch is supposed to be always clearing our unit tests. So every 5 minute at random one of the developer master branches is pulled to a test setup. The test setup runs the unit tests (on different platforms: cheapo android tablet, some phones, IE laptops, Firefox/Chrome/Safari on a Mac). And if a developer messed up, his picture is shown on a big screen and an email of shame is sent to everyone.

For deployment to staging or production we simply use rsync.

For Pimcore websites (the standard stuff we churn out a lot) we have a custom tool developed in PHP with Phing (basically a bunch of smart rsync and mysqldumps, plus some database diffs).

--

Joost Schuttelaar
The Hague, NL