Use of CI and CD

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Thu May 9 22:46:33 CEST 2013

Op 9-5-2013 22:31, Mikael Hansson schreef:

> I've been looking a lot into Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment to improve our methodologies lately.
>
> We have been using a sort of "CI Light" with a build server (TeamCity) to deploy to test and then a file-sync tool (SynkBack) to promote it to prod for the last couple of years but I'm looking into taking it a step further.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts/tips/anything to share regarding this? :-)

Depends on your platform. We're pretty much a Java shop, and recently I
spearheaded (well, basically, did all the installation and setup) of
Maven, Jenkins CI and Artefactory. Subversion was already installed. The
idea is that you develop, submit to Subversion, have artefacts copied to
Artefactory, which in turn is the artefact repository server for Maven.
You can make a really pretty graph with arrows out of that. :)

They're all relatively easy to set up, although creating a new project
in Jenkins CI is a bit of work. And I find the plugins hugely confusing:
I have, for example, no idea how to set up a plugin to have an
application automagically installed on a staging server. Also,
apparently it can somehow recognise dependencies between projects, and
if you for example use a certain library, all projects using that
library get rebuilt whenever the library is rebuilt. But I haven't
figured out yet how exactly.

Perhaps I should read the documentation, but since this was done in
between projects, I haven't really had the time to dive into it.

- Peter