iPad help needed

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Tue Mar 19 19:02:12 CET 2013

Op 19-3-2013 09:29, Joost Schuttelaar schreef:

> On 19 mrt. 2013, at 08:30, Peter Korsten <peter at severity-one.com> wrote:
>
>> But really, I don't know if it's just me, but I can't seem to work with Apple products without something breaking spectacularly.
> Did you use the 4-digit passcode? You can brute-force those if you want. Text password? No. Do note that the passwords are used to encrypt the entire filesystem, so... it's actually a really neat and secure system. Just don't forget your password :)

Ah... but if you get it wrong too often, you have to wait for an hour.
So, brute forcing means 10,000 hours. Suppose you can do this 16 hours a
day, that means 17 combinations a day, which comes down to just over a
year and seven months.

So I just wiped the damn thing, and he has to start over with Super
Monkey Ball and some other games, but at least not with Pet Shop Story
(which would have been a bit of a disaster).

But I'm certain that I had the right four digit code, but somehow the
iPad thought differently. And since version 5 or 6 of iOS, the passcode
is no longer stored in plain text in the backup files.

- Peter