iPad help needed

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Tue Mar 19 09:58:34 CET 2013

> I've installed iTunes (on his PC, not mine) after this, but the problem is that the restrictions code (a four digit number) is stored in the backup as well.

Use iTunes and do Sync's often.  To get your videos and pictures off, use "Image Capture" on Mac, or something similar on PC, to simply transfer stuff off .. (I think any 'MTP'-compatible program will work).

> But really, I don't know if it's just me, but I can't seem to work with Apple products without something breaking spectacularly. No such problems with my Android phone.

You shouldn't assume that just because you're an expert on Windows, you can handle Apple with the same level of competence - the fact is, both have their thorns and downfalls.  But once you've done this total newbie thing of locking yourself out a few times, you'll learn how to manage it, I'm quite sure. ;)

For the record, I don't use iTunes to manage my music collection automatically - I instead have a playlist that gets synchronized ("Portable Collection") whenever I do a sync/backup.  This usually prevents the dilemna of having everything go haywire because iTunes decided to do something Jobs'ian.

I also use "Image Capture" (strictly *NOT* iPhoto) to get pics and videos' off my iDevices.  Its a lot smoother, and does what I tell it to - transfer the pics, remove them after they've been copied to my custom folder preference.

As for apps - well, every single app you've ever bought is associated with your account - so no worries there.  But when you do a sync, each app is given an opportunity to back stuff up - if you've locked this with the newbie code, then you're pretty much Out Of Luck.

;
--
Jay Vaughan