Grrr Linux

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Wed Jul 31 12:50:20 CEST 2013

> I also found a AV Linux Distro that seems recent - but the install folder was empty and I could not get it to boot from USB, so I haven't invested any more time into that.

Definitely a nice distro!  As I like to check out sources, though, and I've gotten myself used to the Debian methods, I've stayed on Ubuntu for that reason.  The Studio branch contains almost everything you need to get productive with making music on a Linux DAW, but AV Linux often has some of the stranger/interesting stuff integrated sooner.

> A while ago (10.10) I tried Ubuntu on my Macbook from a CD and was quite impressed (not so much by the speed but that was mentioned in the docs as a problem when booting from CD.

Definitely not representative!  My Linux DAW at home boots in 8 seconds, and has very definitely surpassed all expectations of performance requirements.  I hardly use it enough though, because the band is fixed on Reaper and Audacity at the jam sessions .. where I don't have DAW duties. :)  But I have been tweaking our session recordings here and there recently, and in that task Ardour just kicks ass.

;
--
Jay Vaughan