Teenage Engineering OP-1 : any tips?

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Mon Jul 22 09:31:43 CEST 2013

So I got an OP-1 .. My first impression is that its UI is very, very intriguing .. it definitely draws me in to want to learn more about it.  I absolutely love the playfulness and non-serious nature of things, yet it gives you what you need.

Second impression is that the keyboard is rubbish, and I wish there was a normal MIDI IN that I could use to play with it.  I don't really want to get a laptop involved .. maybe its something a rPi can be used to get around the problem ..

So far the most fun I'm having with it is with sampling from the radio .. this is the utter bee's knees for total fun.  As I sat in the airport waiting for my (looooong-ass) ride home from the UK I had a lot of fun sampling BBC world news and making my own odd concoctions .. this is a near-infinite source of wonderful sound-making for me, so on that basis alone it might be a keeper.  Not sure yet, it has to survive a few band jams first I suppose ..

Anyone got any tips for me?  Discovered anything vital that I should know?  Something unique?

;
--
Jay Vaughan