Logic Pro X

James R. Coplin james at ticalun.net
Wed Jul 17 06:26:32 CEST 2013

First off I'm bitter so I'll admit that.  I was a Logic user since their
first PC release and I was one of the beta testers for it.  At the time of
Apple's acquisition, 40% of their user base was on the PC platform and
growing.  It was expected to meet or surpass the Apple base within a couple
of release cycles.  Telling 40% of your customer base to go f**k itself is
not good for business.  I'm told very few PC users at that time switched of
the Mac version of Logic.  Steinberg was super smart and immediately came
out and said that they were platform agnostic and were going to support both
platforms going forward equally.  They offered exceedingly generous
crossgrade offers for Logic users.  They really put the screws to Logic at
the time in that you could crossgrade from PC Logic to Mac Cubase if you
wanted and vice versa.  The lion's share of the PC users went to Emagic's
direct competitor.  Even some of the Mac users decided to take advantage of
the crossgrade and left for the Cubase camp.  Ableton took another chunk out
of Emagic (and everyone else of course) but having already given away 40% of
their customer base, it certainly didn't help.  This was at a time when even
MOTU, a company whose vitriol for its own PC users is shockingly barefaced,
was grudgingly having to release its products on PC to remain viable.  The
real clincher I think though is that with the rise in the past several years
of Apple popularity, even the PC users I know who switched to Apple aren't
running Logic but Live.

So, given that, I still contend that Logic died when Apple acquired them.

James R. Coplin