DSI Prophet 12

Paul Maddox yo at vacoloco.net
Fri Jan 25 06:54:20 CET 2013

As Andy pointed out, it's all relative.
the prophet 08 is around $2K, the 12 gets you 50% extra on voices and some
extras for $3K.
Again, the price is reasonable compared to his own stuff.
and yeah, you can buy a monophonic voyager for $3K or a 12 note polysynth,
I know where my money would go.

But this debate about pricing is why Tempest was killed, the world is so
used to paying peanuts for synths. DSP synths have really crippled the
market. Consider the inside of a DSP poly synth, maybe 3 or 4 large chips
(couple of DSPs, MCU), some interface and power supply.
The software will take a long to produce, so it has quite high development
costs, but the cost to "replicate" that software is almost zero!
Time to set up / test, again probably quite small, there's going to be very
little in the way of presets that need setting up/adjusting.

Now, inside there hardware synth there must be 12 sets of oscillators, 12
sets of filters, 12 sets of VCAs, then you have the MCU, plus any effects,
then the same interface logic and power supply.
Development of the circuit is where a lot of the work is, a lot more than
the DSP synth but there's still a hefty chunk of software in there.
Now this is where the REAL cost is, the cost to replicate the hardware is
far from zero, it's a minimum of 10 times the cost of the hardware for a
DSP synth! but again the software replication is also minimum.
time to setup / test, well test time no more than the DSP, but set up time
could be considerable. Consider the DW8000, 8 VCF/VCAs, each had 6 presets
to adjust and set up, just so the VCFs would track and everything would
sound the same on each voice.

Each voice board on Aurora is going to cost me around £100 in parts (I have
10 I want to build), then there s a control PCB (Budgeted around £80) and a
panel (Budgeted on £500), so that's £1580 before I even start writing the
software, or assembling it.

like I say, DSP synths and scales of economy (like korg and ms20mini, I bet
they do a run of 100,000 to start!) have made people forget just how much
work, time and cost there is in building a true hardware synth for a small
company like DSI (I think they're like 8 people?).

"relative" is a good word, as is "realistic".

Paul