Well don't I feel silly...

Tony Hardie-Bick tony at entity.net
Wed Jan 23 18:43:30 CET 2013

On 23/01/13 16:49, Romain / rXg wrote:
> Thanks Jay, It will be very interresting to read Tony about the filter
> design  even if i won t be able to understand everything yet :)

the older one distorts more easily (less signal required), and also,
when the resonance is way up and it's oscillating (but the oscillation
is disturbed or made unintelligable), the oscillation amplitudes are
not much louder than the signal itself; the two are more equal, so
the filter is more musically useful at extreme settings, than the later
version.

there are also some very subtle differences that arise from the different
circuits that are used, and it's difficult to describe these in objective
terms, as a listener, but history has shown that the first circuit is
more widely appreciated

here is a particularly good article about the minibrute filter design
(thanks mz for pointing this out):

http://is.gd/minibrute

(search for the paragraph that starts "Therefore I packed three VCFs")

Tony (HB)