Combo XLR/Jack sockets - watch out for catching jack leads!

Dave S dave.silvester at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 18:13:52 CET 2013

Hey Bar,

Just thought I'd post a quick email about something which happened to me
this afternoon.

I recently got a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB audio interface - seems awesome
so far, just what I was looking for with my laptop.

It has combination XLR/Jack input sockets made by Neutrik on the front,
which are a pretty cunning bit of engineering. However, this afternoon,
I managed to get a 1/4in jack lead stuck in one of the sockets, and had
to open the unit in order to release it. (This was actually the first
thing I've ever plugged into it... sigh!)

I've tried a few other leads since, and it seems that certain types of
jack plugs have a rather "squared off" (for want of a better
description) tip pin, versus others which are a lot more rounded.
Something about the contacts in these combi sockets catches on to the
square jack pins and in certain cases won't let go without being levered
from inside. Even the more rounded ones require a little more force than
usual in order to unplug.

I managed to release mine by using a flat head screwdriver as a lever to
gently lift the contact, but I hope it doesn't happen again, and thought
I'd just post this "heads up" in case anyone else encounters the same
problem.

Beware what leads you plug into these sockets and avoid ones with
squarer tip pins - you may struggle to unplug them! Keep it well
rounded! :-)

Happy new years to you all... now back to lurk (and album making) mode!

Cheers,

~Dave