Ipads synch ( in daw) on one computer

Romain / rXg xtechcode at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 18:43:32 CET 2013

Jay, it s ok don t be sorry, it's alright  :)
 I m agree about using cables, sometimes the wifi is not so stable as you
mentionned ...
But then you could have a problem about the battery going low ... :(
so my alternative is wifi :P

One of my ideas is to use just one app in sync with the daw and try to "
Wist" it to other apps ( which can be ''wisted') on other ipad... (except
for wifi latency in theory it should work ... ) but I never tried "wist"
and i don t know if the apps are managing wist and midi sync (cable or
wifi) at the same time.

By a way ( it s not a revelation but it could be useful for some people) :
To use IMS20 and Animoog together on one and unique ipad(3) and all sync to
the same daw (logic9, but it should work with no problem on Ableton too ):

-> Load logic ( settle for midi clock with the correct "routing")
-> Open first Animoog in ipad (  setup to channel 11)
-> Connection from mac to ipad (wifi)
-> Check if connection works on animoog for the channel settle
-> Open ims20 ( default midi1, can t change the midi channel yet in the
settings )
-> check if connection works for the channel settle
-> Check sync with play
-> It Works
-> Done Have Fun ...

Ps: if you load the korg first and then animoog you will control only
animoog ... Compare to Korg ims20, Animoog can work in background  but i
guess you can t control knobs ( via CC from External midi keyboard) if it s
not displayed on the ipad  ( i must double check for this last one, it used
to be like this but since the new update from the end of december maybe it
works ? :P)
The only thing to be sure is to not ask too much from the CPO when more
than one app is used ...

I also tried IElectribe  synch to my daw with Animoog but it seems it s too
much for the Ipad3 CPO when both are playing ...

Knowing that the music apps should work on Ipadmini :
What do you think about the screen of the ipad mini for music purposes ( i
know what you of it in your bed, and i m agree hehe ) but for music purpose
is the screen not too small ?

Thank you and  have a nice day

Romain
:)

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 5:32 PM, Jay Vaughan <seclorum at mac.com> wrote:

> On 09/01/2013, at 5:24 PM, Romain / rXg <xtechcode at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Well next time, i will ask santa or even God ... sounds quite the same
>
> Sorry Romain, I must have missed your earlier mail about this.
>
> First of all: I don't have much experience with wireless sync'ing to DAW -
> I don't really like to have to set up a wifi connection before I can jam.
>  What I *do*, however, is use MIDI synch - all my iDevices have hard MIDI
> cable capabilities, and in that sense synchronization is as smooth - and
> easy - as it ever was in normal MIDI days.  I wouldn't suggest futzing too
> much - just get a cabled setup - because even with Wifi speeds you will
> still get periods of dropout - not always the case with plain ol' MIDI.
>
> Anyway, if you encounter any interesting tips or tricks about this I'm
> definitely interested - just that I use MIDI with my iDevices, and it still
> just plain works.  I don't experience any of the heavy performance issues
> that many complain about, with MIDI, either .. so that makes it a little
> simpler.
>
> j.

Romain