Apple Airplay

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Thu Jan 3 15:15:39 CET 2013

Op 3-1-2013 12:38, K9 Kai Niggemann schreef:

> Are there a lot of WIFI-networks in your air? I can see about 10 here
> and believe that that adds to the problem. Which Express are you
> using? The one that looks like a wall-wart powersupply?

There's a very cool Android utility called Wifi Analyzer
<cid:part1.06010602.09010604 at severity-one.com> (click on the link for a
screen shot), which shows you what wifi networks are in the area,
together with their channels and their relative strengths. Also, it
shows the overlap, because two adjacent channels have quite a bit of
overlap and therefore interference.

My father used this to solve some problems he had with his wifi network,
because at least three of his neighbours were on channel 1, like he was.
After walking around a bit with his Android tablet, he figured out the
best channel to use.

Another utility is called Wifi Radar
<cid:part2.04010001.08030700 at severity-one.com>, which shows you in what
direction you may find a wifi network. You look a bit silly as you
revolve very slowly holding your phone, but it can help if you need to
contact a neighbour, perhaps to see if you can work out who will use
what channel.

> I'm thinking of extending the network to have music and netradio in
> the kitchen, but right now it's so flaky that it doesn't seem worth it
> one bit.

Try similar utilities as the ones described above, but for iOS, or find
a friend who has an Android device. Try to keep overlap as little as
possible. And if you have more than one wifi network in your home, make
sure that the network name and password are the same, but that the
channels are different.

- Peter