Two More Weeks

Andrew Tarpinian andrewtarpinian at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 22:21:22 CET 2013

On Feb 18, 2013, at 3:42 PM, Peter Korsten <peter at severity-one.com> wrote:

> It would have more potential, I think, if it were more generic. But on Android, it's the chicken-and-egg situation. Even though top-end Android devices beat the iPhone 5, and tons of Android devices are sold (60% of the market, although I expect that's mostly low-spec smartphones), the software in certain niche areas – and even not-so-niche areas – isn't really coming along.

As we see with android, if it was more generic it may not exist. Whether you like Apple or not, they had the vision to build an audio engine into iOS that gave developers the hooks to dig deep. Android is as you say generic, but their vision is generic too. It's a vision of technology without including art.

The good news is by accident (or maybe on purpose) the excuse of a phone has thrust us into the future of computers.

Actually probably over 10 years ago I heard a talk at a video editing confernce about how we would be moving away from the desktop into a future where instead the computers we would use would actually just live in the devices we use, camera's etc..