Two More Weeks

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Mon Feb 18 21:42:14 CET 2013

Op 18-2-2013 17:52, Gert van Santen schreef:

> Op 18-2-2013 17:39, Peter Korsten schreef:
>> It would be cool if you could just have some controller, like
>> Push or a DJ controller or something else, and hook it up to your
>> smartphone. Not even a tablet, although that should be
>> transparent. With the silly amount of processing power you get
>> these days in a phone, you could simply take a controller and a
>> USB cable, and slide the "processing engine" into your pocket.
>
> You can do that with a lot of phones these days, I guess. I have a
> special controller for my iPhone. It's a very small keyboard with 2
> wheels and some buttons. I suppose you could probably even gig with it
> ;-)

Well, I meant more in a generic way. Right now, I could connect any USB
slave device to my Galaxy S3, like a mouse (?), keyboard, or indeed a
USB music keyboard or a DJ controller. But there's no software on
Android worth mentioning, as far as I can tell. I don't even know if it
would recognise a MIDI interface, or a USB audio device.

The thing you're showing is kinda cool, but it looks a bit limited, and
what happens if Apple decide to change their connector? Not that this
would ever happen, of course...

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD_9Fhg_pdc

That hairstyle looks like he has a turd on his head. :-)

It would have more potential, I think, if it were more generic. But on
Android, it's the chicken-and-egg situation. Even though top-end Android
devices beat the iPhone 5, and tons of Android devices are sold (60% of
the market, although I expect that's mostly low-spec smartphones), the
software in certain niche areas – and even not-so-niche areas – isn't
really coming along.

- Peter