DSI Prophet 12

Tony Scharf noisetheorem at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 16:55:13 CET 2013

Personally, I am looking forward to the Prophet 12 because it is a Prophet
12.   Recreating past sounds precisely has never been one of my goals.

This is one of the reasons I love my PEK so much when most people seem not
to.  It just doesn't *sound* vintage.  You can't make it do a smooth moog
bass or a even a half assed prophet VS impression.  What it does do,
however, It does beautifully.

That said, there were some questionable design decisions by Dave Smith on
it.  I never liked the way the stereo split was implemented and the
encoders chosen for the first production run were awful (I am getting mine
finally replaced at a discount to the pot edition).  There is also the way
the signal path goes through a few AD/DA stages where you have to be very
careful about digital clipping.  Also, the presets it shipped with were
absolute dog shit, and it wasn't exactly an easy synth to program (despite
its knobbyness).  I'd say it took me 2 years to really 'get it', and I
still figure out new tricks.

I think a lot of people spend time hating on tools because of what they
arent rather than loving them for what they are.

Tony

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 9:46 AM, Jay Vaughan <jayv at synth.net> wrote:

> I remember lusting after these machines when they were announced and
> released, and it fits the same model as the old 8-bit war - sure, I could
> do 'the same' thing with a ZX Spectrum as I could with an Oric Atmos, or
> C64, but nevertheless the differences between them would teach me something
> interesting.  In relation to other bits of gear, these old classics still
> have a lot of love to give.
>

> ;
> --
> Jay Vaughan