DSI Prophet 12

James Coplin james at ticalun.net
Tue Feb 5 15:50:03 CET 2013

A couple of things  I think.  First, I never said that I was unable to
make music without the VS, just that I've always wanted one.  However,
while in the most basic sense, the particular instrument may be irrelevant
to what can be done, the instrument does matter more than I think you
suggest.  I *could* write on the cheapest upright piano just as well as a
Yamaha concert grand but I can tell you which I would much rather work
with.  There is a reason concert halls don't typically have Young Chang
uprights in them.  As someone who really likes electronic textures, synths
with capabilities like the VS really do it for me.  I love the blankets of
cascading timbres it is capable of.  It is a very unique instrument
capable of timbres that are just not achievable with other synths.  The
PPG would be another good example.  I have a Wave 2.3, Waldorf Microwave
I, and the PPG VST plugin.  They all sound good and are capable of
essentially the same thing but there is some creepy gritty voodoo in the
PPG that makes me always end up back on it when I am tracking.  In the
end, it is one of the only old vintages I don't have or have had in my
setup that I've always wanted.

James R. Coplin