Korg Volca series

Peter Korsten peter at severity-one.com
Fri Apr 12 23:22:44 CEST 2013

Hi Andy,

> Sure, nothing against VA's but I feel like they need to have something
> new or special about them to make it worth it to make a hardware
> version as opposed to software.

Perhaps we shouldn't look at hardware synths like that: "Oh, I can do
that with Moog Big Softie (VST/AU), so why would I bother buying a
hardware synth?"

For me, personally, hardware synths have a very big advantage over
software synths, namely, that they're not software. I write software for
a living, I'm surrounded by software everywhere I go, even my 12 year
old car runs on software that sometimes fails (so I have to turn off the
engine to get my speedometer to work again), so to have something that
simply does what it's supposed to do, after you switch it on and it does
its little light show, is very enticing.

If you prefer software, because of all the integration, or because you
can carry 20 synths without having to hire a haulage firm, or whatever
other reason, no hardware synth is going to lure you away from that –
unless that hardware synth offers something that you can't possibly get
in software, such are real analogue components.

One of the loveliest pieces of kit I've ever played on was a Yamaha C3
baby grand. Totally impractical, but it had this little something that
you won't get in even the best digital piano or sound bank.

- Peter