Tapedelay

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Sep 19 20:26:02 CEST 2012

On 19/09/12 19:12, Tony Hardie-Bick wrote:
>> On 19/09/12 13:19, Michael Zacherl wrote:
>> IMHO that's nothing what can't be done with a modulated tap delay
>> (either Pd/Max/SC) and the DFM-1 external !
>
> yeah - simple experiment to do, if i was set up with a laptop for live
> work, yeah.... that'd be how i roll :)

although there are some interesting parameters in the strymon white
paper that i'd like to try out: the bias distortion works differently
from back-to-back diode distortion, and also the tape slipping/friction
stuff is very cool, because it momentarily changes the pitch (in a real
machine the tape slips the capstan, and then when the capstan catches it
again, a few milliseconds later, it actually slows the motor a small
amount, and then catches up as the inertial momentum is regained...
changing the relative phase of the signals)

in the end, it's kind frustrating to be modelling old gear, but at the
same time, until all its secrets are revealed, there is so much to be
learnt about sound and how we perceive it.

Tony (HB)