Mac Book Pro 17" battery life?

Martin Naef mnaef at navisto.ch
Thu Sep 6 08:52:20 CEST 2012

On 05.09.2012 22:58, Andrew Tarpinian wrote:
> On Sep 2, 2012, at 10:44 AM, K9 Kai Niggemann <canine at waf80.de

>> Wow yours looks way better than mine:
>>
>>   Fully Charged:Yes
>>   Charging:No
>>   Full Charge Capacity (mAh):8307
>>   Voltage (mV):12461

> maybe, mine is 3 years old and looks like this:
>
>    Charge Information:
>    Fully Charged:No
>    Charging:Yes
>    Full Charge Capacity (mAh):11730
>    Voltage (mV):8363

I don't know much about the MacBooks, but from these two figures I doubt
it's the same battery type, hence the comparison doesn't tell much.

12.6V is a typical end of charge voltage for a 3 cell LiPo type battery,
whereas 8.4V is typical for a 2 cell. Obviously, the 2 cell type needs a
higher capacity (as measured in Ah) to provide the same amount of juice.

So doing a quick math with rounded figures and ignoring the voltage drop
during discharge, you get about 103Wh on the first battery, and 98Wh on
the second. That's a negligible difference and easily reverted depending
on the discharge voltage curve.

Martin