Automap

Romain / rXg xtechcode at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 20:01:47 CEST 2012

Years ago automap didn t do what it should ( impossible to control the 3rd
party ),also remapping simply didn t work ...
And I was quite angry about Novation for this ...
I heard that now days it s ok specially for ableton and logic pro since
Automap version 3.5 went out ( leopard and snow leopard, I don t know for
windows or Lion) ...

Actually I m using an old automap (2.00 something) on mynovation SL37 and i
completed it with some midi-map-cc- learning using
http://global.novationmusic.com/support/product-downloads?product=ReMOTE%20SL
It took me a while before to get exactly what i was looking for,but i don t
think there is a unique workflow for everyone this is why automap is not
really universal and it seems to complex  imo ... But now i m happy with
the hardware, I use the different (40) template to control different synth
and effect controllers, or bus  ...

You should think about your configuration in many dimensions ( what you
want to control directly and what is not needed : synths,effects , bus and
which parameters you wanna controlled into them [preferally the same
controllers name at the same place for the different synth so the ADSL
buttons for synth 1 are the same as ADSL button for synth2 in another
template] , I don t think you want to be able to control everything, it s
not smooth imo  ADSL and cutoff are the basics for synth  ...) logic was a
bit an issue with learning CC ( specially to rememebr them ) but it
was solved since logic 9 went out,

A setting to complex is not really what I will advice for a good
workflow cause you will end with something like Automap ...

I don t know if this mail will be understandable ...  but i hope it could
help ...
Good luck and let us know, it interrest me how you will end ...

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 7:59 PM, Gert van Santen <g.vansanten at upcmail.nl>wrote:

> Op 4-9-2012 19:55, Andrew Tarpinian schreef:
>
> I know some people on the list have notation controllers, and I'm curious
>> how you use then in your workflow? Automap seems to confuses me, I feel
>> like I am not using to the best of it's ability. My goal is to control live
>> and then plug-ins as well - this works in the default mode if you are just
>> using live plug-ins, but for third party you have to turn the automap
>> button on (weird) and then deal with a disorganized layout of the
>> parameters. If you make a custom template (this still seems to be in beta
>> for a long time...) can you switch to them easily?
>>
>> I should really do more research but it seems the info is limited,
>> official notation stuff seems to tell you it should just work like magic
>> but it doesn't.
>>
>> I'm just wondering how people are using them, if I'm missing something
>> and if there are actual magic beans inside.
>>

> I stopped using the automap function years ago because I found it just too
> confusing.
>

> --
> Gert

Romain