!@#!@$ interview question, wtf ..

deeplfo EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Oct 17 20:15:43 CEST 2012

Unfortunately what has happened is that these days the task of interviewing candidates is not done by a "professional HR" person, for lack of a better word, and is assigned to a variety of existing employees, that are not always perhaps cognizant of those finer points.  And what you end up with is an interview turned into one or more quiz sessions between the interviewers and the candidate.

mohsen

________________________________
 From: James Coplin <james at ticalun.net>
To: deeplfo <deeplfo at yahoo.com>; Music-bar <music-bar at lists.music-bar.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 10:51 AM
Subject: RE: !@#!@$ interview question, wtf ..

I used to use questions like this one (and some *way* harder) during an interview.  It wasn’t necessarily that I wanted the answer but how the person responded spoke volumes.  People who immediately quit or wildly guessed to get it “off the list” were not good candidates.  Ones who thought about it were possibilities.  Those who thought about it and puzzled through it while continuing on, especially those who kept circling back to it were what I was looking for.  I wanted problem solvers who could grind but also stay on task while thinking about things.

James R. Coplin