Cider & fermentation

James Coplin EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Oct 14 16:04:11 CEST 2012

Great!  I make cider most years, around 10 gallons at a time.  I'm
skipping this year because I have 40 gallons on hand as I haven't been
drinking it as much lately.  Definitely worth the effort.  Cider does take
a *long* time.  I find that it really becomes best tasting at 1 year
minimum.  You definitely need to use unpasteurized cider if you don't
press your own.  If you try it relying on the wild yeast in the cider, you
are going to have mixed luck.  At times, there are not enough yeasts in
the cider to compete with the inevitable bacteria and it will go rancid
instead of fermenting.  Go to your local homebrew shop and get some ale
yeast to add to it to make sure your fermentation instead of
putrification.  I use a food grade bucket with a lid and air lock.  If you
let it ferment all the way through, it will be very dry.  I use a
yeasticide to nuke it when it done fermenting and then back sweeten with
honey and a little frozen apple juice concentrate.

I'd love to hear your kimchee recipe.  I've made some in the past but
nothing that I'm super happy with.  I'm making sauerkraut this weekend.
Can't get enough of that during the winter!

James R. Coplin