SID Synths (was: Analog Four)

punkdISCO forums at punkdisco.co.uk
Wed Nov 14 23:12:20 CET 2012

Hey Andrew

> http://www.elektron.se/products/sidstation

> I have one, but it doesn't work :( - don't know if the chip is fried or
just the

> power, have to get it looked at.

Defo try replacing the SID - they are very cheap and can often go pop so a
good place to start.

A few months back, to feed my SID addiction, I got a MB6582:

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=wilba_mb_6582

It's a MONSTER!  I has 8 SIDs inside, configured as pairs, so 4 synths
(cores) with 2 SIDs each.  You can uses these Cores in various ways like
poly synth, drum machine, acid bass line machine, or Lead Engine which is
the main use.  So, in Lead Engine mode, you get a mono synth that has 2 SIDs
(6 oscillators/2 filters), one left and one right.  All functions can either
be to both SIDs or just Left or Right.  You can detune the 6 oscillators to
give incredible stereo sounds, especially good for lead sounds.

The Cores utilize all the SID functions (and SIDs are actually extremely
well spec'd with 2 or 3 envelopes, 3 LFOs with mixable waveshapes, 3
oscillators with mixable waveshapes, 1 filter with mixable modes like
LP+HP+BP all at once etc) but then there are also additional software
functions to enhance what is already a very powerful architecture.
Basically, each core (from memory) has:

6 oscillators (mixable waves)

2 filters (mixable shapes/modes)

6 LFOs (mixable waves)

6 envelopes (6+stages with looping)

Wave sequencing

8x8 mod matrix (which only scratches the surface of the modulation
possibilities)

8(?) part sequencer

Event triggers for anything you can imagine

x arpeggetiagors

8 CV outputs

Built in filter feedback

3 portamento styles, independent for each oscillator

It has a FS1R level of complexity (no kidding!) but in a package that is
actually usable.

Here is the instruction page for just one of the sound engines (SID lead)

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid_manual_l.html

With the exception of the FS1R, the MB6582 is the most flexible/well spec'd
synth I have ever owned and this includes VSTs.  Plus, it is a doddle to
actually use!!

Paul

London

www.punkdisco.co.uk