Can anyone recommend me an ADSL router?

Joost Schuttelaar EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Nov 7 22:30:42 CET 2012

Yo Dave!

> Our router (ZyXEL Prestige P660HW-T1 v1) seems to be playing up so I think we need a new one. I wondered if anyone had a personal recommendation for a router that is rock solid and doesn't do annoying things like crash and reboot when it gets disconnected? I'm sure I can search online, but personal recommendations from fellow 'bar geeks always triumph.
>
> It's for ADSL2+ (at least, I think that's what we have) in the UK, with wireless networking.
>
> I don't need anything particularly fancy like network storage or MIMO, but also am not opposed to such features.
>
> Just want something really solid with good basic features and firewall, good signal strength, that doesn't drop the connection often, and that won't crash often. Fifty quid or less (on Ebay) would be a good ballpark figure, but it could be a little more.

All the combined modem + routers have been terrible for me, so right now I use my provider-supplied modem (cable: Cisco EPC3925) in bridged mode. Connected via Ethernet to an Apple Airport Extreme as the router. The modem only functions as a modem. The router does the routing.

Those modem router combo's always seem underpowered and/or buggy to me, especially noticeable when having > 200 TCP connections open.

But perhaps I just've been unlucky in the past :)

--

Joost Schuttelaar
The Hague, NL