Raspberry Pi

Tony Hardie-Bick tony at entity.net
Tue May 22 17:35:54 CEST 2012

On 22/05/12 16:08, Marc Nostromo [M-.-n] wrote:

> I was pretty sure the subject came in but didn't find (quickly) any references
> in the archives.
>
> Any one tried it ? Is it worth exploring as a cheap ass unix embedded board ?
>
> I was expecting much lesser specs.

it needs proper d/a converters, and at present you could only get that using a
usb device (so, not great latency)

definitely the platform the chameleon should have become: anyone can design
their own interface, and the number of units being sold is in the hundreds of
thousands

the most essential aspect being that most of the code written for it will run on
other hardware, so there's no lock in. also r-pi (not-for-profit) foundation is
planning to make their pc-design files available to competitors.

we will see plenty more of this kind of thing:

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/helloworld/27867/?p1=blogs

with cost coming down, specs going up, and a huge developer community increasing
in number.

the only thing worth noting is that r-pi uses an older generation of ARM
instruction set.

given this seems to make the CPU that much more affordable to so many, i
personally have no problem with using a compiler.... or even writing a bit of
assembler, if there are hundreds of thousands already waiting to download code ;)

Tony (HB)