PEK Demo Video

punkdISCO forums at punkdisco.co.uk
Thu May 17 11:00:26 CEST 2012

Hi Kim

> And a very nice voice it is. Apparently a MEK goes a long way; do you feel
the
> PEK is in some ways "too much"?

Yeah, the PEK is a funny beast.  Im still not sure if I like it..  Sound
wise, it just feels a little unimpressive when using basic synthesis:  dial
up a simple waveform, single oscillator and then stick it through a basic
filter/VCA setup - for me, a "good" synth will produce great results with
such a simple sound, however, the PEK (etc) sound very boring when going
back to basics like this.

Clearly, the PEKs/MEKs start to shine when you use all their features (such
as my demo) and they can do some crazy stuff but this crazy stuff then
becomes very overpower and is difficult to get into a track (unless it
becomes the whole track).

I also find the sweet stop very small and hard to find.  My demo video was
triggered around me trying to create a wobbly filter sound, using the
sequencer to introduce the "wobble" by controlling the filter env attack.
This task would take 20 seconds on most synths (forgetting about driving it
from the sequencer) but on the PEK, you have a load of head scratching -
turning up the filter env attack and the filter still gets trigger on full
(btw, I completely know how to do this stuff on all my synths so its not
lack of knowledge).  Then, just as you get it, you make another TINY change
to another env and its gone again!!!!  Ahhhh!!!!  In summary, its very
frustrating and quite slow to get the sound you are trying for..

I think I need to spend more time on it..  So sell it..

Ta,

Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk