sysex messages

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Wed Mar 28 13:56:55 CEST 2012

Its easy Tom - get an Arduino set up with MIDI (see arduino.cc and sparkfun.com) using either a MIDI shield, or build your own MIDI interface to the Arduino (easy) .. then just send MIDI messages from Arduino!  SYSEX isn't really much more than a packet of MIDI messages, and is very easy to construct programmatically.  With Arduino, you could build your own fader box easily enough - there are already tons of designs for this out there.  Hook up some encoders, build a SYSEX packet-forming function, pass it the data off your encoders, and off you go.  The hardest part is going to be soldering the opto-isoloators (or waiting for Sparkfun to deliver a MIDI Shield), but then again you're going to feel right at home pretty fast.  ;)

Lets hear how things progress!

j.

;
--