Fractales12 New song : " For a change "

Tony Hardie-Bick tony at entity.net
Sat Mar 17 15:15:47 CET 2012

On 15/03/12 10:40, Romain / rXg wrote:
> Thank you tony,
> just let me know  for  the music ... (It s not zappa style  i must admit)

Well I have no preference for style, only good music :)

Strange to say... the lyrics in this track are so good - intense, and beginning
to develop a unique voice (in the sense of language) - but you can hardly hear
them in the mix. So much work, and most who hear this track will not have any
idea what is going on underneath.

If you're serious about writing lyrics, then the music is either equal or less
important. Given the quality of your lyrics, I think you need to see music as a
way of putting your words across, rather than a way of creating a vibe that
hopefully some people will recognise and then start listening (the very opposite
of the entertainment industry idea... "by the way, which one is Pink?"). This
will make your work more original and subversive, and less like the bands your
friends wish you were in ;) They will like your music less if you step outside
the social identity they (and you) have created for it.

The music itself - brilliantly put together, although... chorus on guitar? I
know there are loads of bands that do this, but, just my opinion, it really is a
sound that got used up very quickly a long time ago. Also, bass drum in the
opening minute or two - it's a heartbeat, so, understand what metaphor you're
using, and mix it as such - ie, more bassy, more reverb, less like a cardboard box.

The dynamics of the piece are strangely flat in the loud section, and although
you could see this as a technical issue (compression ratio), I'd say forget
technology, and ask yourself about the narrative structure of the art, rather
than the sonic structure of the music. Always see the big picture ;)

But... brilliant. You're in good company in recording inspired lyrics that
nobody ever gets to hear because the music's getting in the way :)

Tony (HB)