RPM - Mastering - Status

Romain / rXg xtechcode at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 19:22:05 CET 2012

Martin,
>Probably, yes. You may also try to emphasize the higher harmonics on the
bass and then turn down the complete track in compensation.
Do you mean the M/S technique with an Eq bewteen encoding and decoding ?

>But I think you should focus more on the separation. Turning back the bass
a bit during mastering was easy. But having different instruments occupying
the same frequencies >(e.g. voice and guitar) is much more problematic.

Yes I know what you mean, and it s my biggest challenge  for my mixing
process ( but quite difficult to archive for me)...

>You might still be able to gain something by trying out different speaker
placement, having damping in the right place (e.g. the sofa) etc. Acoustic
treatment really makes a huge difference, and I don't think my >absorbers
in the studio look particularly bad - it's rockwool in wooden frames of
about 2x1m, covered with a nice fabric.

The thing i do ( but i didn t mentioned it in the last email)... I put
myself in different places in the room and I mix by knowing perfectly how
sounds my favorite cd at this specific place (for references).
Also it s quite important to realize how the room sounds differently
depending on where you are ...
( I know quite well where my Low Freq goes to hide :)

I wish you a nice day :)

Romain