Arturia Spark (v Maschine)

punkdISCO forums at punkdisco.co.uk
Tue Jul 17 10:15:15 CEST 2012

Hi Andrew

> I have looked at it, it appealed to me for the same reasons it does to
you.
> Does it sound good?

Yes, I think it sounds very solid.  Im also impressed with how good the
synthesis is and it definitely delivers that Jomox feeling where you have
'happy accidents' with every twiddle of a knob, and this is what I love
about synthesis for drums.

For example, say you need a snare:

1) Firstly you do all the obvious stuff regarding timbre and envelopes but
during this process, you have also pitched the snare correctly for your
track.  Okay, you can pitch samples but most of us (me!) forget to do this
and simply audition our 500 snares until one sounds good enough.

2) In the meantime, you accidently stumble across something that introduces
a rhythmic surge after the snare which fits perfectly with the track.  You
home in on this surge and workout where it is coming from and emphasise it
further.

3) Bingo!  We now have a perfectly pitched/timbered snare plus a rhythmic
skip which we were not looking for in the first place!!  And all this in the
time it would have taken me to audition my first 50 snare samples (with 450
to go!!)

I know Im teaching you all to suck eggs but, nearly all of my "composing" is
based on happy accidents so this is why I have always loved Jomox drums
(synthesised drums)..

Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk