Ableton controllers

Andrew Tarpinian andrewtarpinian at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 17:52:59 CEST 2012

On Jul 15, 2012, at 6:16 PM, Tony Scharf wrote:

> Honestly....I don't like any of the surfaces I have tried including the APC20 I had.  I always end up back to mouse and keyboard.
>
> That said...I do have kind of a lust for the livid controllers.  As I never use the clip view, however, most controllers are pointless for me.

One good thing to try is play you clip view monome/mlr style. Like I'll record some mess around on the modular into live, then I will duplicate a bunch of clips of the recording down a row and then go in and set small start/loop points on cool sounds (I will usually set the clips to say gate so I can control how long they play and create negative space.) Set the quantization menu to none, (or a small number if you still want quant) and play away on a grid controller. You can then separate or record more to different tracks to play across the grid and then the sky is the limit with what you can do with effects etc...  What great is the clip samples are really easy to edit, you just pop in and immediately change it in the clip view. You can of course do this with anything, vocals etc...