Virus TI2 or Arturia Origin?

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Thu Jul 12 20:30:55 CEST 2012

> BTW: don't worry about the Virus T3 being "just around the corner" -- I think based on the history it won't add much anyway..;-)

Whatever they do, it will sell on their slick and lubed channels pretty well, I would say.

I bought a Future Music for the first time in 12 years last week, the one with the meribu thingy, pre review.  Was interesting to see that FM is utter junk, yet still has its punters.

> I still like the Virus for its versatility, even though, like Jay I parted ways with its creator at one point (I used to be a beta tester for Access). I think the Virus with the best UI is the Virus A. soundwise I think the TI is way cool.
> did I add anything to this conversation? A bit of a ramble I guess...;)

The TI definitely has an amazing sound, its true, and if you want some inspiration the massive sound library is a fun way to waste an hour or so, but for me the love for the Virus is still in the Indigo2 interface. Of course I am biased, its been my instrument of choice for a decade now, and whatever nonsense I get up to, I at least know the knobs by feel.  Though, I tire often even yet more these days, of its menu.

I just cannot appreciate the whole integration thing either, since it requires too much fuss just to get started and anyway is more hassle for my typical sessions wherein I wish to make free music and not be encumbered by a lot of swotty thinking, which is my day job.  The last thing balding accountant types need after a hot and sweaty day of pocket calculation is a bootup sequence which requires yet more clicky click essentials before the beautiful dreamy landscapes proffered by the muse can be conquered, if you catch my drift.

As for current synthesizer selections, I wonder if the need to go digital is so prevalent these days .. a digital synth offers much power, but we all seem to get along quite fine with resolute analog restrictions, regardless, so some few thousand odd pounds spent on, essentially, a PC with a crap knob interface on it, why not heft the funds into a true modular?  My thinking, as I am surrounded by digital stuff, is less digital, more analog.  Imagine a bank of 6 filters, each with their own extraordinary canals of lust, sitting there waiting to be applied to whatever other, multiple sources of oscillation and generation may be sitting around.  I say, less integration within the box, and much, much more out of box experiences.

;
--
Jay Vaughan