Virus TI2 or Arturia Origin?

James Coplin james at ticalun.net
Wed Jul 11 14:56:18 CEST 2012

That's kind of what I'm thinking as I would be picking up a TI2, not a
TI3.  I'm still teetering on picking up the Origin.  I am pretty sold on
the sound from what I've heard online.  However, for the same cash, the
TI2 really packs a wallop from the functionality standpoint.  The DAW
integration (if it works on your system) is pretty amazing.  I'm not in
love with the sound but the latest software update adding two envelopes
finally answers one of my main complaints with the Virus going all the way
back to the original product.  The Origin seems so sexy but there are a
couple of things that bother me about it especially given that all
indications are that it is soon to be an orphan product.  The price is
such that it absolutely has to be a keeper for me to dump $2000 on it.
I'm still waiting to hear back on some feelers I have out.  If I can get
the price down a bit I'll probably bite on the Origin and wait for the
TI2s to get dumped when the newest Virus comes out in the relatively near
future.  If the Origin was $1500 they would sell a lot more of them.  I
think they priced themselves against the Virus which was a huge mistake
given the integration piece and how well the Virus was already
established.

James R. Coplin