Gertboard

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jan 27 21:21:19 CET 2012

Op 27-1-2012 20:59, Tony Hardie-Bick schreef:

> Anyone who knows about forking the shell will have already written their
> own code. These demos are designed to minimise the learning curve, and
> are aimed at people who have very little experience with electronics or
> programming.

With the result is that they will keep doing it this way. Trust me on
this one, I've seen it often enough. You tend to copy what you've seen
somewhere, and not change it to something more efficient.

> The C program in the video clearly encapsulates commands that could be
> issued from any language, or from the command line. This is why it's
> written that way.

So he should have written it in a shell script. It's not that difficult
to do a for-loop in the shell.

> And there are days when the system call or its equivalent, have rendered
> dead hardware (even a satellite or two) as good as new.

Trying to find the relevance to the discussion...

> In space nobody can hear you scream "that code just wasted 53
> milliseconds of CPU time" - They just wanna get the pictures back to
> Sirius.
>
> And that is why Gert is running this project.

As a professional programmer, I shudder when I see these things. It's
not just the waste of so or so many CPU cycles, but the fact that most
people who do programming simply don't grasp the subject. It's like me
repairing cars.

- Peter