Waldorf Pulse 2

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jan 20 17:22:10 CET 2012

On 20/01/12 15:55, punkdISCO wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MrFarTSfWY
>
> And I guess even the resonance sounds good providing you don't go to
> extreme.  The sounds at:
>
> 1:00&
> 2:55
>
> refers to the horrible whistling sound the Pulse can make when pushed.  But
> I guess you don't have to push it that far :)

That's what I mean... this is the filter self-oscillating at high resonance.
Many of the presets were badly programmed... you have to boost the osc levels to
increase the phase locking of the filter so it locks tto he oscillator
frequencies - or jumps across them in complex ways, rather than blithely
oscillate over them without interference. Thing about the Pulse was that it
actually was capable of this adjustment, whereas many synths at the time, and
since, simply avoided self-oscillation, because it sounds crap unless you boost
the input levels and create some phase-locking and distortion.

The ability to fine tune distortion and resonance just below these extreme
settings was how many people got amazing sounds out of it. The synth has
versatility, sure, but for me, it was the ability to fine tune the filter
distortion that set it out sonically.

Tony (HB)