Waldorf Pulse 2

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jan 20 15:43:07 CET 2012

> Actually, my new report is from China.  She has a different take on
> the factories in China, having known people who work in them first
> hand.  The conditions may be bad (relatively), but their alternatives
> are a lot worse in many cases. This doesn't justify the conditions,
> but it does add perspective.

I can't remember which province she was from, but she has a lot of
friends that work in the factories.  She came to the US about 10 years
ago, but frequently goes back to see family still living there. She is
taking over my duties as software developer, as I am moving into a
more pure management role (company is growing, and we now have IT
staff in Toronto, LA and Mexico city that report to me).

Its actually quite interesting, as she grew up being taught in their
school system.  Her version of history is a bit different than ours,
and there are some subjects I try to avoid.  This can lead to some
funny/awkward conversations (Recently, she came into my office
wondering why we had Taiwan listed as a country in one of our
databases - she explained that this is a 'sore point').

She left because they wanted to force her to go to school to work in
accounting, and she *hates* accounting.  They wouldn't let her study
computer science.

Tony