Doepfer Dark Time

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Jan 12 17:41:05 CET 2012

> Playing with the Dark Time, and more the modular in general, has
> taught me to see with my ears more than my eyes.  I don't turn the
> knob and line it up with a mark to set the value - I turn the knob,
> and listen till I hear something pleasing.  I think it is one of the
> reasons I don't like playing my modular from a keyboard as much as I
> do just working the knobs and sequencer directly.  Sometimes your
> eye's lie to you, but your ears only tell the truth.

Yeah, this was a common argument given around the redesign of the Virus synth .. I don't buy it, though, because I think the knobs are the first level of documentation for all new users.  Certainly, power users don't really care, but when you're learning for the very first time, such unintuitive flaws get in the way and often manifest themselves as problems later down the line ..

;
--
Jay Vaughan