Moog Minitaur

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Jan 12 09:33:44 CET 2012

Hi Paul

Late to the discussion...

On 10.01.2012 19:38, Paul Maddox wrote:
> Don't get me wrong form and function are closely related, but I
> wonder how much form affects the way you "use" a synth, it certainly
> doesnt affect the sound, but it could perhaps affect the way you
> "approach" or "use" a synth.
>
> Sorry, I think I'm talking drivvel, I'm just really puzzled what
> gives something a "OMG I need that" just from it's form.

I am also a member of the fraction who thinks that aesthetics are
important. As engineers, we tend to strive for technical perfection - in
your case, the ultimate sound or features. But that misses out the part
where we actually use the instrument.

For me, making music is a highly emotional process. So there must be a
bond between the artist and the tool. The feelings towards the
instrument will strongly influence the result. It can also be a
love/hate relationship - if you have to kick your tool to do what you
want, the resulting aggression can be just what your song needs. If you
look at your instrument in awe because it's the most beautiful object,
you will also approach it accordingly.

So yes, I think that once you've finished the guts of your synths, I
think you should spend the same amount of thoroughness on the aesthetics.

Martin